Hackers Steal $64 Million Worth of Bitcoin with Sophisticated Social Engineering
The Slovenian-based Bitcoin exchange company, known as NiceHash, is recovering from a 64 Million-dollar Bitcoin heist.
Hackers orchestrated a complex attack to lift more than 4700 Bitcoins from NiceHash.
How Did Hackers Steal $64 Million in Bitcoin from Slovenia’s NiceHash?
- Hackers used sophisticated social engineering to steal some or all of the 64 Million dollars worth of cryptocurrency
- The hack was described as a “professional” attack perpetrated by highly-skilled hackers
How to Protect Your Bitcoin Wallet From Hacks Like This
- Make sure all the passwords on all of your accounts are unique, STRONG, and not easy to guess.
- Never respond to “automated” texts which indicate that your phone company (usually Verizon in the U.S.) needs information from you.
- If you do call your phone company for any reason at any time, always look up the phone company’s telephone number. Never call a number you received in part of a text.
Best Practices to Secure Your Bitcoin Wallet
- Make sure your computer is locked when you walk away from it in a public place
- Always use a VPN when you log in to check on your cryptocurrency wallet
- Never download files sent to you via email